Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie is an animated film that was produced by DreamWorks Animation, based off the first four books in the Captain Underpants saga.
The movie was released on June 2nd, 2017 in the United States.
In Piqua, Ohio, George Beard and Harold Hutchins are two fourth-grade friends and next-door neighbors who often bring joy to their school, Jerome Horwitz Elementary School, by excessively pranking the cruel teachers, especially the mean Principal Benjamin "Benny" Krupp, which puts them at odds with him. The duo also create comic books about a superhero named Captain Underpants, a character who has superpowers and wears underwear and a cape. They sell these to their schoolmates through a comic company called Treehouse Comix Inc, housed in their treehouse. George and Harold's pranks come to an apparent end after they tamper with a toilet invention, the Turbo Toilet 2000, made by the school's local snitch, intellectual Melvin Sneedly. This causes Krupp to decide to separate the boys and annihilate their friendship.
To prevent this, George hypnotizes Krupp with a 3D Hypno Ring he received out of a cereal box; the boys see that Krupp bears a resemblance to Captain Underpants without his toupee and command him to be Underpants. The boys soon learn the severity of their acts when Captain Underpants begins causing some problems around Piqua and take him to their tree-house. There they discover that they can turn Captain Underpants back into Krupp by splashing water on him and can turn him back into Underpants by snapping their fingers. Believing that Krupp will continue with his plan to separate them, they decide to settle with Captain Underpants but insist that he be dressed up as Krupp under the pretense of a 'secret identity' to which Underpants agrees. His sudden personality change even manages to attract the attention and affection of the school's shy lunch lady, Edith.
Just when George and Harold believe that their troubles have ended, Jerome Horwitz Elementary School is visited by an odd, German-accented scientist named Professor Pippy Pee-Pee Poopypants, or as he calls himself Professor P. Captain Underpants (disguised as Krupp) hires him to be a new teacher, but George and Harold are suspicious of him. As it turns out, Poopypants is seeking to get rid of laughter altogether due to the fact that people have made fun of his name for years. He recruits Melvin to help him, as his brain is incapable of having fun.
Meanwhile back at the school Captain Underpants dressed as Mr. Krupp opens the art room back up for the children with the help of George and Harold. He then tries to draw a picture but finds it hard then he observes over what Harold and George is writing about then Captain Underpants ha an idea. After while George and Harold realized that everyone was gone and as soon as they get outside they see that Captain Underpants dressed as Krupp has thrown a carnival for all the students. But Harold and George has to be cautious of him cause anything fun he has that has something to do with water could turn him back into Mr. Krupp. Harold and George tried their best to protect him and snapping him into Captain Underpants again but he goes back and forth to Mr Krupp to Captain Underpants again and after a ferris wheel accident that crashes into the school as Captain Underpants glides down in a parachute, the rain gets to him and he becomes Mr Krupp upon seeing what has happened he demands George and Harold to separate at once in his office and to never see each other again.
Soon, Professor Poopypants tries to take over the town with a giant version the Turbo Toilet 2000, fueled by the school cafeteria's rotten leftovers left out by Edith and uses Melvin's brain to to turn the children into glum, humorless zombies. Harold and George witness this happen in separate classes as they both leave into the men's rest room trying to find out what to do and as soon as Mr. Krupp walks in upon seeing George and Harold near each other. As soon as he was about to reprimand them. George and Harold had no choice but to snap their fingers then Captain Underpants appears and tries to stop the villain, but due to having no actual superpowers, is effortlessly defeated and thrown into the toilet. George and Harold are captured and nearly turned into zombies, but are able to escape when their laughter damages the Turbo Toilet 2000's computer. As Captain Underpants hears George and Harold crying out for help, upon consuming the mutated leftovers, Captain Underpants acquires superpowers and, with George and Harold's help, defeats and shrinks Poopypants, though he escapes shortly thereafter. The cops show up seeing the school tilted to the side with a big giant bird, however George, Harold and Captain Underpants flee the crime scene going back to the tree house.
Captain Underpants is seen reading the comics of his adventures as George and Harold watch him feeling a little happy yet sad. Knowing that they cannot control Captain Underpants, George and Harold destroy the Hypno Ring to permanently change him back into Krupp. Feeling that Benjamin would be nicer if he had friends, the boys set him and lovesick Edith up on a date, thus making Krupp have a change of heart, returns the comics he took away from George and Harold, and even admits their comics are funny as he himself re read them again. However, the toxic waste from the Turbo Toilet 2000 transforms all the toilets in a junkyard into vicious monsters which attack the restaurant at which Benjamin and Edith are dining and where George and Harold happened to be at watching over how Happy Mr. Krupp is. They also encounter the vicious monster toilets the tried calling for help. Krupp notices this happen as a monster toilet eats a customer. Upon snapping his fingers (accidentally) trying to call for help, Benjamin once again becomes Captain Underpants, carrying George and Harold away to help him fight them, much to Edith's surprise and admiration.
In a mid-credits scene, George and Harold realize that the secretary (whom put her on the phone before by faking a $1,000,000,000 contest) has been on the phone for the entire movie, so they shut off the call, make the secretary angry, and make a new comic based on her reaction.
- Ed Helms as Benjamin Krupp and Captain Underpants
- Kevin Hart as George Beard
- Thomas Middleditch as Harold Hutchins
- Nick Kroll as Pippy Pee-Pee Poopypants
- Jordan Peele as Melvin Sneedly
- Grey Delisle-Griffin as Edith Anthrope (uncredited)
- Dee Dee Rescher as Tara Ribble
- Brian Posehn as Mr. Rected
- Mel Rodriguez as Morty Fyde
- Fred Tatasciore as Jacob Meaner (uncredited)
- David Soren as Tommy
- Susan Fitzer as Ms. Dayken
- Lynnanne Zager as George's Mom
- Tiffany Lauren Bennicke as Sad Girl
- James Ryan as Mime
- Leslie David Baker as Officer McPiggly
- Sugar Lyn Beard as Goody Two-Shoes Girl
- Lesley Nicol as Nobel Moderator
- Chris Miller as Nobel Audience Member
- Coco Soren as Balloon Girl
DreamWorks Animation announced on October 19, 2011 that they had acquired the rights to make a film based on the series. DreamWorks had been attempting to secure the rights since the series was first published in 1997, but Pilkey was not interested. However, after seeing "the subtle way that morality and personal responsibility were handled" in How to Train Your Dragon and the Kung Fu Panda movies, he realized a film could "properly convey what [he] was trying to do with the books".
On October 2013, it was announced that Rob Letterman will direct the movie. On January 21, 2014, the cast was announced, with Ed Helms joining as Mr. Krupp and Captain Underpants; Kevin Hart as George Beard, Thomas Middleditch as Harold Hutchins, Nick Kroll as Professor Poopypants, and Jordan Peele as Melvin. The film was scheduled for release on January 13, 2017. In January 2015, it was announced that the film will be instead "produced outside of the studio’s pipeline at a significantly lower cost" and will be released sometime in 2017.
- It appears that when George used the Hypno Ring, that there is some supernatural stuff going on, since the whole setting was changing and not only that, George and Harold were hovering off the desk in a way that would indicate something supernatural. This did not occur in the first novel book.
- The movie was shown in some theaters the day before it's original release date in the U.S. as part of the Seattle Film Festival.
- The film's theme song is sung by Weird Al Yankovic, which might be a reference to the first Captain Underpants book where he is played on the intercom as a prank by George and Harold.
- Captain Underpants in the comic series bears a strong resemblance to the real world Captain Underpants and his alter ego Benjamin Krupp. But in the book's comic series Captain Underpants looks different.
- The ice cream truck song came from Mister Softee.
- The dachshund from the Dav Pilkey book "The Hallo-Wiener" makes a cameo appearance being walked by his owner on a leash.
Trailers and Clips
- ↑ DreamWorks Animation Wins Auction For ‘Captain Underpants’ Feature Film Rights. Deadline Hollywood. October 19, 2011.
- ↑ DreamWorks Animation Plans Captain Underpants. ComingSoon.net, October 19, 2011.
- ↑ "Captain Underpants Saves The Day By Recruiting Top Comedy Talent To Voice New DreamWorks Animation Film" PR Newswire. January 21, 2014
- ↑ "DreamWorks Animation Release Dates Include Madagascar 4" Collider.com. November 11, 2013
- ↑ Lieberman, David (January 22, 2015). DreamWorks Animation Restructuring To Cut 500 Jobs With $290M Charge. Deadline Hollywood
- ↑ Fleming Jr., Mike (February 26, 2015). Rob Letterman Doffs ‘Captain Underpants'; ‘Turbo’s David Soren Being Fitted For DWA Pic. Deadline Hollywood